Tuesday, July 01, 2008

HEY EVERYBODY!

Just got back from a week of summer camp at good ole Camp Bratton-Green. It was a 5th and 6th grade session and I had a blast. My eldest child is part of Permanent Staff this summer and next, working the ropes course. It's a high honor and she was selected with two others out of a pool of 50 something. They also help with all the programming, skits, worship, "Big" games, etc. It's a whirlwind of very hard work and she LOVES it. She has dreamed of this gig her whole life, at least since her 1st time at camp as a 3rd grader. I am a proud pappa.
I will take over this session as Director next year, replacing the legendary Tom Slawson (also a Seabury grad), who has directed this particular session for 18 years! Way to go, Tom - truly a great camp director, moving on to other things and leaving huge shoes to fill.
Camp in our diocese is a HUGE deal and I am honored to be part of it, both as a newbie director and as a member of the Board of Managers for our Camp and Conference center. It's truly the heartbeat of the Diocese of Mississippi.
Hey Everybody is what you shout when you want everyone's attention at camp, and I used it to start my sermon last Sunday - camp stays with me for a while, for sure.
I know I have not written in forever but I plan to become a regular blog poster once again. St. Patrick's is mere weeks from breaking ground on our new building and I will post updates here. I am also very interested in traveling ANYWHERE to do fund raising to finish the gap in financing this building. Almost 3 years since Katrina destroyed all our facilities and we are most ready to be in our new space. 
Lastly, for now, I am a MAC user now! I spent 20-something years in mainframe and then PC and Networking, primarily in the banking world. I've been a DOS then Windows user all that time. But for my 50th (YES 50th!!) birthday, which I celebrated at camp by having TONS of food dumped on me at lunch, my family gave me a Best Buy gift card that went a long way to the purchase of my new Macbook Pro! Wow. My old laptop was dying a slow death, and I bit the bullet big time. I am learning as I go, so far I love it.
More to come, if ANYONE is out there still....

No comments: